When you have an dental accident, knowing what to do can mean the difference between saving and losing a tooth.
Tips for common dental emergencies:
- For a knocked-out permanent or adult tooth, keep it moist at all times. If you can, try placing the tooth back in the socket without touching the root. If that’s not possible, place it in between your cheek and gums, in milk, or use a tooth preservation product. Then call Dr. Argenziano to be evaluated immediately.
- For a cracked tooth, immediately rinse the mouth with warm water to clean the area.
- If you bite your tongue or lip, clean the area gently with water and apply a cold compress.
- For toothaches, rinse the mouth with warm water to clean it out. Gently use dental floss to remove any food caught between the teeth. Do not put aspirin on the aching tooth or gum tissues.
- For objects stuck in the mouth, try to gently remove with floss but do not try to remove it with sharp or pointed instruments.
When you have a dental emergency please call Dr. Argenziano. The emergency number is always available on our answering machine.